An imposing detached property designed by the renowned architect L E Cole and was built in 1928. Offering expansive and well planned accommodation, as well as two separate dwellings within the grounds, the property has vast potential for development.
An imposing detached property designed by the renowned architect L E Cole, since it was built in 1928 the property has developed a rich modern history. Offering expansive and well planned accommodation, as well as two separate dwellings within the grounds, the property has vast potential for development.
- Cambridge City Centre approx. 7.1 miles
- Addenbrookes Hospital approx. 5.6 miles
- Whittlesford Station approx. 5.6 miles
- Stansted Airport approx. 23.3 miles
History of the property:
The property was designed by the renowned architect L E Cole and is of architectural interest, as the property was built at the start of the modernist movement which was a new architectural style that emerged in the decade after World War I. It was based on the "rational" use of modern materials, the principles of functionalist planning, and the rejection of historical precedent and ornament.
Cole designed the building so that it is in line with the constellation Orion. The constellation represents the mythical hunter Orion, who is often depicted in star maps as chasing after the hare with his two hunting dogs. The constellation is also known as the Hare and Hunter and this is where the property derives its name, as a barrow was once a term used in the keeping of hares.
Cole was commissioned by the famous accountant Sir A Lowes Dickinson and it is said that the property was built for Mrs CC Brownlow. Dickinson also had links to Kings College, Cambridge and it is also said that the Queen Mother had visited the property during the 1950’s to accompany him on a visit to King’s.
Approached through wrought iron gates and across the courtyard, this impressive double fronted property is incredibly striking, entered via the front door into the unusually shaped central hallway.
Directly in front of the entrance is the dining room which is a particular feature with its octagonal shape, it also has a unique brass flag pole stand which is said to have been used during World War II. The room also offers exceptional views over the gardens.
Adjacent to the dining room is the generous sitting room, a light and spacious room with double doors to the garden and pool area, there is also an open fire. The hallway also leads to the expansive modern kitchen, with dining and living areas, a substantial room which is perfect for entertaining and family living, to the rear there are bi-fold doors into the garden. There is also access to the utility room with laundry facilities and steps down to the cellar, which currently houses the boiler.
The ground floor is also well served with an additional reception room, currently used as a study, a cloakroom and boot room, which an original maid’s sink still remains.
The master bedroom suite is situated on the first floor with triple aspect windows offering far reaching views of the gardens and countryside beyond. There is also a dressing room with an open raised area where the bath is situated and a separate cloakroom. There are three further double bedrooms, all with en-suite bathroom facilities.
The second floor has a further bedroom which is a sizeable double, with a wardrobe area, dressing area and en-suite bathroom. It also has access to the balcony which offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
The grounds of the property host an outdoor heated swimming pool and a gazebo with a seating area, there is also access to the gym which is centrally heated. A particular feature is the sunken gardens which lead to a patio area, to sit and take in the exceptional views. The rest is laid to lawn with mature trees and well established borders. To the front of the property there is a double carport and a flint and rendered store currently used as a tank room.
Also located in the grounds is the garden lodge, which is a generous room with a vaulted ceiling and exposed beams, it also has an attractive log burner, perfect for parties on a summers evening or cosy winter gatherings. It also benefits from a kitchen and cloakroom area, and has heating, water, electricity and internet access which also allows for use as a home office.
Field View is a three bedroom bungalow with a separate entrance and parking. The bungalow briefly comprises of two double bedrooms, the master having an en-suite shower room, and a third single bedroom. There is a spacious lounge/diner with access to the conservatory, also a modern kitchen and family bathroom.
The Studio is a one bedroom annexe which has its own access and could be used as an additional rental property following a renovation programme, subject to the necessary consents.
Babraham is a relatively small village, situated amongst open countryside just south of the University City of Cambridge. The village benefits from a highly regarded primary school, popular public house/restaurant and is also home to the Babraham Institute. Conveniently located for the commuter the village is within easy access of the major road networks including the A11 and Whittlesford station, whilst Addenbrookes hospital and various other science/business parks are located close by. A full range of services including shops, doctors, dentists and secondary education can be found in the village of Sawston which is about 1 mile distant and can be accessed either by car or over the recently constructed pedestrian/cycle path.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage and oil central heating.
Local Authority: South Cambridgeshire District Council Council Tax Band: G