An elegant Grade II listed Regency mansion set in about 20.5 acres with a swimming pool, walled garden, parkland & outbuildings all now requiring extensive refurbishment. The traditional brick & flint stables have planning permission for residential conversion.
The Howe is a significant Grade II listed Regency mansion occupying an elevated setting with far reaching views over the Colne Valley. Proudly standing within beautiful parkland, the property offers a rare opportunity to purchase an exceptional Regency house with huge onward potential to restore it to its original glory. In addition, attractive flint and brick outbuildings include former stables with planning consent for conversion into 2 residential units. The origins of The Howe date back to 1700, whilst the current house was built in the latter part of the neo-classical period. Presumed to have been constructed around 1825 by the May family, the property displays Regency architecture at its finest. Of grey gault brick construction under a slate hipped roof with deep dentilled eaves, features include large sash windows and casements with stucco reveals and some shutters, as well as a grand Doric portico entrance together with a magnificent verandah spanning the southern elevation. Internal features are similarly impressive including high ceilings, generous room proportions, original fireplaces, intricate coving, a beautiful skylight with shared light through to the ground floor, detailed door architraves, exposed
floorboards, window shutters and a magnificent reception/dining hall with Doric columns and parquet flooring.
Whilst these wonderful period features remain in place, and the property is certainly unspoilt, it is fair to stay the property requires renovation throughout.
The term ‘Howe’ or ‘hoo’ derives from the Saxon word hou, meaning hill. The property was originally a farm owned by the Tweed family. In the early 1800s the estate was owned by the Sparrows and was purchased by Edward May in 1825 – this was when the ‘new’ house was built. Between 1845- 1914, The Howe was owned by the Horners and at some point during the early 1900s a large wing of the house to the north east was demolished leaving the size as it is today. The Courtauld family owned the estate from 1914 until 1955 after which the estate was broken up. The Darrell family have owned the property for the past 60 years.
The grounds of about 20.5 acres form an important feature. A private gravelled drive leads to a parking circle and courtyard. There is a walled garden, formal garden area leading to the swimming pool, mature woodland with an
abundance of rhododendrons, a small lake and an expanse of parkland with mature trees and a Ha-Ha. There is an additional privately owned lane to the northern boundary which leads to a further access point into the top field. As with the house and outbuildings, the established grounds need to be returned to their former glory.