An important Grade II* listed 16th Century manor house, set in grounds of approximately 44 acres on an elevated plateau commanding extensive and beautiful views over the Calder Valley.
It is believed that Brearley Hall has never actually been offered to the open market throughout its history. The present building is believed to date from 1621, encasing a much earlier timber framed structure which can still be seen in the rare timberwork in the open hall’s sling-brace roof, which according to the Halifax Antiquarian Society goes as far back as the 14th Century. The Hall was subdivided into three “Wings” approximately 25 years ago and could indeed form three separate dwellings if preferred or reformed as one significant residence, together with the additional cottage ideal for ancillary accommodation for staff or a dependant relative. Furthermore the hall is now in need of a programme of updating and could be reconfigured internally to suit an individual’s requirement, subject to planning approval. There is also scope to incorporate the large adjoining two storey barn to provide additional accommodation if required.
Brearley Hall sits in the heart of Bronte Country some 10 miles from Haworth, the home of The Bronte sisters. It is recorded in the 1841 census listing that their brother, Patrick Branwell Bronte was resident at Brearley Hall during his time as Clerk in charge at Luddendenfoot station. Another resident of note was Dr John Fawcett, a religious writer and poet, who ran his academy for the training of Baptist ministers at Brearley Hall in the late 18th Century.
Brearley Hall is located on the hillside overlooking the Calder Valley, approximately 2½ miles east of Hebden Bridge. Hebden Bridge offers excellent shops, cafes and pubs, and there are a number of schools in the vicinity. Mytholmroyd, which is within 1 mile, has a railway station offering regular services to both Leeds and Manchester. There is also good access to the region’s motorway infrastructure for travel further afield with the M62 some 8 miles to the east together with both Manchester and Leeds Bradford International Airports within easy commuting distance.
The ground floor accommodation comprises an entrance vestibule opening through into the reception hall with original tiled floor, beyond which is a magnificent hall (the ‘house body’) open to the full pitch of the roof with exposed beams and trusses, period carved fireplace surround constructed from 15th Century Gothic pierced panels and minstrel gallery. Leading off the hall is a large airy drawing room with fireplace carved 1707. Adjacent is a dining kitchen, utility room and lobby leading out into the orchard. A second well proportioned family room overlooks the garden and grounds, a dining room/study overlooking the orchard, a second kitchen with large pantry, breakfast room, vaulted wine cellar and cloakroom with WC. The main staircase leads up to a minstrel gallery overlooking the hall and initially leads through into bedroom one open to the full pitch of the roof with exposed beams, double bedroom two with part vaulted ceilings, exposed stone wall and a house bathroom. A second staircase leads to the second first floor accommodation comprising landing, box room, second house bath/shower room and four further bedrooms.
Added in 1897 in appropriate ‘Vernacular Revival’ style, the East Wing comprises the original main reception hall with glazed panelling and original oak staircase leading through into a lovely well-proportioned drawing/dining room, which was the original games room with stained glass window panels depicting various sports of the time. Also a breakfast kitchen with rear entrance vestibule/utility, cloakroom and WC, leading via a small turned staircase up to a first floor playroom and home office. The first floor accommodation is approached off a small partially galleried landing and includes a house bathroom and three double bedrooms.
BREARLEY HALL COTTAGE
The ground floor comprises a sitting room, kitchen and pantry with two bedrooms and a bathroom at first floor level. Outside there is an adjoining single garage and very large enclosed private formal gardens.
A long private driveway leads up from the main road and initially turns left up through the original stone entrance pillars, in turn opening through into the front gravelled courtyard on the south side of the hall. Double gates set in a coaching arch open through into a central courtyard which also provides ample parking and access to two garages with adjoining store room. Adjacent to the garage is an integral fuel store, which leads through into a substantial two storey stone barn capable of being converted to form additional accommodation if required, by way of extending the existing East Wing subject to obtaining the required planning consents.
The formal gardens of Brearley Hall lie principally to the south and there is a separate private area to the rear of the principal wing and around Brearley Hall Cottage. The adjoining paddocks and woodland surround the hall and extend in all to approximately 44 acres (17.8 ha). A public footpath crosses a portion of the woodland to the west albeit some distance from the hall itself.