Furness, Naas, Kildare

€2,400,000

A secluded Georgian Estate in the heart of the Kildare countryside, surrounded by spectacular parklands only 19 miles from Dublin City Centre

  • 9 Beds
  • Detached

Description

A secluded Georgian Estate in the heart of the Kildare countryside, surrounded by spectacular parklands only 19 miles from Dublin City Centre

Furness is approached through stone piers along a tree lined avenue which sweeps around to the front of the house. Steeped in history, and standing as a wonderful example of Georgian

architecture, Furness boasts well-proportioned and elegant receptionrooms that have retained their extensive period features. These include

excellent ceiling heights, ornate cornicing, open period fireplaces, original wooden flooring and shuttered sash windows. This creates a

very manageable family home and boutique estate in a magnificent parkland setting surrounded by numerous specimen trees. Like many Georgian villas, Furness is a wonderful house for

entertaining on a grand scale with the floor plan flowing effortlessly throughout. Of particular note are both the drawing and dining rooms with spectacular views of the gardens and surrounding landscape.

Gardens and Grounds

Home to what is believed to be Kildare's oldest yew tree, dating to circa 800 years, the gardens and grounds at Furness includes c. 34 acres of

paddocks of excellent limestone soil, parkland, woodland and gardens which entirely hide the property from the outside world. A neverfailing

stream runs through the grounds.

StableYard

To the south of the main house lies the former stable yard which has recently had the walls and roof restored.

Other Buildings

In the kitchen yard stand the picturesque original arched 2-storey buildings which provide ample ancillary storage, and with relevant planning permissions could be converted into additional

accommodation, offices or amenities.

Flexible Accommodation

With 9 principal bedrooms in the main house, the guest accommodation in the north and south wings and the Apple House add another 6

bedrooms, allowing ample accommodation for a large number of family members, guests and staff.

The 3 wings are designed to be self-contained, with metal fire doors separating them from the main house. They each have an electricity

meter and water supply.

This configuration provides for maximum flexibility for modern family living or the property would lend itself to a corporate headquarters, wedding venue or boutique guest house

HISTORICAL NOTE

Pre-dating the house at Furness is an early Christian church that sits within the grounds to the east of the house. Built in c.550 and tucked away in a wildwood, the church was later extended by the Normans c.1210 and to this day remains a piece of hidden history. Furness was originally built c.1740 for Richard Nevill, MP for Wexford.

From c.1780 onwards, his great-nephew carried out various additions and alterations, such as adding the north and south wings and the

dining room. Furness stayed in the Nevill family until it was sold to the Beaumans in 1822. It was sold to the Synnotts in 1897 who restored much of

the house and in 1961 erected the listed column which was formerly at Dangan, the boyhood home of the 1st Duke of Wellington. This column now terminates the fabulous vista from the front door. The current owners acquired Furness in 1993 and are only the fifth family to inhabit the house in its 270 year history.

Less than 30 minutes' drive from Dublin and Dublin airport, Furness is a haven of peace and tranquillity situated on approximately c. 34

acres. The thriving town of Naas with all modern amenities is 4km from Furness. The County Kildare countryside is dominated and characterised by both the quality of its agricultural land and its status as the home of thoroughbred Ireland.

Racing.

From Dublin, follow the signs for the N7 towards Naas, Cork and Limerick. Take junction 8 on the N7, for Johnstown. At the roundabout, take the second exit for Johnstown village. Go passed the Johnstown House Hotel and take the next left. Go 0.3km to a Y and bear right; continue 0.8km and turn left after the Equine Centre. Continue 0.8km and the property is on the left with large stone curved walls and wrought iron gates

Ganly Walters

+353 1 662 3255

8-34 Percy Place
Dublin 4
Republic of Ireland