A beautifully situated late Georgian house, providing spacious accommodation of considerable charm, occupying a magical setting amidst almost 19 acres (7.69 ha) of gardens, grounds, wildflower meadows and ancient woodland, between Arncliffe and Litton.
Stonelands occupies a lovely south west facing position between the picturesque village of Arncliffe and the quaint hamlet of Litton, in the beautiful Littondale Valley, one of the prettiest and unspoilt Dales within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The Queens Arms and The Falcon Inn are situated in the aforementioned hamlet/village with a more extensive range of everyday facilities in Grassington which is 10 miles to the south east. For a wider range of everyday facilities, the market towns of Skipton and Settle are within 12 and 13 miles respectively.
Stonelands is a country estate in miniature. The very attractive late Georgian house was built originally around 1810 and reconstructed between 1910 to 1920. Consequently and advantageously, it is not a listed building. It provides beautifully proportioned family accommodation which has been sympathetically altered and improved during the current owners 12 year tenure. The setting is quite enchanting, surrounded by delightful English country gardens which create a very special atmosphere and ensure considerable privacy. Beyond the gardens, to the east, are a series of paddocks with a substantial area of ancient woodland to the north east providing a beautiful backdrop. The accommodation is arranged over three floors and includes a central reception hall, cloakroom, sitting room, dining room, study/morning room and a kitchen with a walk in pantry, utility area, laundry room, store room and a useful vaulted cellar.
On the first floor there is a spacious landing, principal bedroom with an en suite bathroom and a flight of stairs leading up to the second floor where there is a dressing room and an adjoining sewing room. There is also a guest bedroom which has an en suite bathroom together with two additional bedrooms (in the main house) and a house shower room. Stairs lead from one of the bedrooms to a large family room on the second floor, ideal for use as a teenager’s den. In addition and lying immediately to the rear of the house, there is a self contained apartment (known as The Hind) providing useful ancillary accommodation and being suitable for a variety of uses. It could be used as an annexe, granny flat or a teenager’s suite in conjunction with the main house, a home office facility or alternatively as a holiday rental, a use currently adopted by the owners and which has proved extremely successful.
The property is approached via gated entrances with a drive sweeping around the front of the house and down to the substantial barn, which provides garaging and a large workshop although is eminently suitable for a variety of other uses. Planning permission was granted to convert it into a dwelling a number of years ago but this permission has now lapsed. The surrounding gardens are delightful and include a walled garden, lawned areas with well stocked borders, terracing with a rhyll and formal pool, kitchen garden and an orchard with a variety of fruit trees. There is also a wildlife pond adjacent to the barn, a lovely garden room and a dog kennel.
The land surrounds the house and is currently laid to grass and wildflower meadow with private ancient woodland beyond which is carpeted in the spring with Snowdrops, Violets, Primroses, Bluebells and Orchids with patches of rarities such as Herb Paris. The land is currently registered under the basic payment scheme for payments for 2016 and the sporting rights across the land are included in the sale.