A substantial Grade II listed Jacobean Hall, steeped in history, occupying a beautiful south facing position and enjoying stunning views over parkland style gardens and grounds.
Langcliffe Hall occupies a spectacular parkland setting in a discreet and private position on the southern edge of this picturesque village, within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The popular market town of Settle is within a mile and provides a wide range of everyday shopping and recreational facilities. There are an excellent range of private and state schools nearby including Giggleswick and Sedbergh – independent schools for 4-18 year olds – as well as Settle College, Ermysted’s Grammar School and Skipton Girls High School. For the commuter, the location is convenient for access to the West Yorkshire conurbation, East Lancashire and Manchester beyond. There are railway stations in both Settle and Giggleswick which provide services to neighbouring towns as well as Skipton and Leeds to the south east and Lancaster and Morecambe to the west. Mainline services operate from Skipton and Leeds to London’s Kings Cross, Manchester Airport is 67 miles to the south and Leeds/Bradford Airport is about 36 miles to the south east.
Recreational facilities within the area include walking the many footpaths including the Pennine Way, the Ribble Way and the Three Peaks, a swimming pool and a golf course in Settle and salmon and trout fishing on the nearby River Ribble.
The story of Langcliffe Hall stretches back over many centuries. The earliest part of the Hall dates from 1602, illustrated by a date stone over the front entrance door. It was originally built by Henry Somerscales with substantial additions in the 18th Century and further subsequent alterations in the 19th and 20th Centuries.
The owner’s family are an old Yorkshire landowning family who have lived at the Hall since 1642. An early family member, William Dawson, was an accomplished mathematician and friend of Isaac Newton, who is reputed to have been a visitor to the Hall, gaining inspiration for his theory of gravity in the orchard. Other notable guests include a number of prominent politicians of the day, including Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, during the abdication crisis in 1936. The present owner’s grandfather was Editor of The Times newspaper and a close friend of Foreign Secretary and fellow Yorkshireman, Lord Halifax, whose family were also regular visitors.
Langcliffe Hall offers substantial accommodation, featuring beautifully proportioned rooms throughout and a wealth of character features. All principal rooms are orientated to the front, facing due south, each enjoying lovely views over the gardens and grounds.
The accommodation to the Hall extends to almost 8,575 sq ft (796 sq m) and includes four well proportioned reception rooms on the ground floor together with the breakfast kitchen and additional ancillary rooms. The drawing room and music room are on the first floor, together with the principal bedroom, dressing room and bathroom, two additional bedrooms and a bathroom. On the second floor there are a further seven bedrooms and three bathrooms.
Within the north wing of the Hall there is a self contained two bedroom apartment providing useful ancillary accommodation and an excellent recently converted home office within the grounds.
THE GARDENS AND GROUNDS
The gardens and grounds create a particular feature of this exceptional property and have been carefully designed to take full advantage of the wonderful setting that the Hall occupies. Adjoining the Hall, to the front, is a formal lawned garden with a central flagged pathway leading to a delightful rose garden with box hedging, lawns and manicured yew hedging. To the east is a 200 year old walled vegetable garden with a bespoke fruit cage and a tennis court. Beyond, the mature gardens feature further lawned areas, wild flower meadows, a pond and extensive protective woodland. There are an extensive range of outbuildings including a two storey Georgian stable block and a variety of useful garden stores.
The parkland grounds continue beyond the gardens, enclosed by a contiguous stone wall, drifting up the craggy limestone fell of Blua mountain. On the eastern edge of the estate, with separate access from the village, there is a detached barn which may have some form of development potential, subject to planning.