An elegant 5 bedroom detached house that has undergone a programme of significant updating and improvement resulting in a comfortable family home, in approximately 1 acre, with a south westerly aspect to the rear. In all 3576 sq ft.
Entrance Hall, Drawing Room, Family Room, Study, Kitchen/Dining Room, Shower Room, Utility Room, Master Bedroom with En Suite Bathroom,4 Further Double Bedrooms,2 Bath/Shower Rooms, Double Garage, Garden Store, Landscaped Front and Rear Gardens, In all approximatley 1 acre.
North Hinksey village lies within the ring road and just south of the Botley Road in Oxford. It retains several attractive period properties and has a Church of England primary school, a church and The Fishes, a popular gastro-pub. A footpath and cycle track known as Willow Walk and Ruskin's Ride cross the meadows close to Hinksey House, leading to the City Centre and Oxford Station. The village is conveniently located for access to the many highly regarded private schools in both Oxford and Abingdon.
Hinksey House stands on the site where a Roman road crossed the Seacourt Stream of the Thames. This ford is mentioned in a Saxon charter of 957 and forms the western part of a multiple ford which was known as Oxenforde, giving the city of Oxford its name. A ferry at North Hinksey is first mentioned in a deed of about 1200, in which Abingdon Abbey granted land to ‘John the Ferryman’. The ferry remained in use until 1928.
The Front door opens into a spacious reception hall with stairs to the first floor landing and doors leading to the main living accommodation much of which enjoys a south westerly aspect over the landscaped rear garden. The double aspect drawings has an open fireplace with an Oak mantle and surround creating a fabulous focal point, a door into the dining room and French doors out to the rear terrace. Double doors from the entrance hall open into the kitchen/dining room which is particularly light and airy with 2 large picture windows flooding the room with natural light. There is a range of contemporary wall and base units with some integrated appliances as well as a freestanding Range cooker. From the kitchen, doors lead into the study which is situated to the front of the house and the family room which has a window to the front aspect and a door out to the rear terrace. There is also a ground floor shower room and a utility room with an internal door into the double garage and a further door to the rear garden.
The first floor landing is also particularly spacious with doors off to all bedrooms and the family bathroom as well as a spacious linen cupboard and access to the loft which is fully boarded. The master bedroom is particularly impressive with a vaulted ceiling and an en suite bathroom. There are 4 further double bedrooms, one of which has an en suite bathroom.
Approached via a tarmac drive, the house sits on a plot of approximately one acre with mature landscape gardens to front and rear. The front is mainly lawn interspersed with mature trees and shrubs. The rear garden accessed via a secure side gate is laid to lawn with a planted border and a raised planted terrace with
flowering perennials, mature shrubs and herbs. Immediately to the rear of the house along the full length of the rear is a paved area with raised pond and water feature with steps leading up beyond the terrace to the lawn. Rear security lights provide extra light as required in the evenings. To the side of the property is a garden store providing space for garden equipment. Above the seating area at the rear of the house is a gazebo with climbing rose and grapevine and a flowering wisteria. The front driveway has ample parking for four cars as well as the Double Garage with an electrically operated door.