A particularly handsome country house in generous mature gardens, incorporating a self-contained guest annex, garaging and a versatile outbuilding.
Thormanby Hall stands on the site of Thormanby Castle and as a result occupies a commanding elevated position overlooking beautiful mature gardens and glorious rolling countryside beyond. The precise date of the house and adjoining cottage is unknown having been part of the Viscount Downe estate for much of its history, but a date stone suggests it was heavily modified and extended in 1850. The present owners have been in residence since 1987, adding the Great Hall extension in 1990 in the style and dimensions of the local church. The flooring stone came from a church in Leeds, the main 7 foot high fireplace is craftsman made from Wensleydale stone.
The entire Hall offers generous and very well presented accommodation on a grand scale. This is a large house but not too large, every room being of near perfect proportions, period features taking centre stage, modern improvements having been sensitively inserted. All house and cottage windows have been replaced in mahogany or oak, the oak fitted library came from the former Richmond Convent. In addition to the main house is a self contained 2 bedroomed annex perfect for guests or dependant relatives.
Outside, appraoched via a gated in and out driveway there is a large brick outbuilding which incorporates numerous stores and a 3 bay car port. Whilst the building provides some very useful storage and workspace it offers an excellent opportunity for further development into ancillary accommodation. The gardens lie predominantly to the South, bordered by a dense screen of mature trees and evergreen shrubs to the west and a more colourful layered beds to the east. The folly in the garden on the far side of the Ha Ha contains the Rose window from the Cistercian Abbey of Jervaux circa 1156. A round gap in the abbey ruins clearly shows its former location.